Welcome to the Better Butchers!
We are a startup specializing in the production of cultivated meat, also known as lab-grown or cell-based meat. Our mission is to revolutionize the way we produce and consume meat by offering a healthier, more environmentally friendly, and more ethical alternative to traditional livestock farming.
We are a team of scientists, chefs, and sustainability experts, The Better Butchers is committed to using cutting-edge science and technology to create a range of cultivated meat products that are not only delicious, but also nutritionally equivalent to traditional meat.
We are passionate about creating a more diverse and inclusive food system that meets the needs of all consumers, whether they are looking for plant-based options, alternative proteins, or simply want to make more mindful and compassionate choices about the food they eat.
CO-FOUNDER & CEO
- Serial entrepreneur passionate about removing animals from the food chain and building purpose driven, better for you CPG brands.
- Co-founded The Very Good Butchers and took them public where they were the top performing IPO (globally) of 2020.
- Has managed high growth, disruptive food companies from product inception to North America wide rollout.
CO-FOUNDER & CTO
- BSc major in Food Science, with minor in Chemistry and Biology.
- 20 years combined of food research, product development and manufacture.
- Experienced in protein and fat research, plant-based dairy and meat alternatives, equipment and product design, procurement and implementation.
- PhD in Animal Biosciences, University of Guelph Ontario, Canada.
- Recipient of the Highly Qualified Personnel Award from Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs.
- Broad expertise in mammalian and microbial cell culture systems, recombinant protein expression system and metabolomics.
- Passionate about animal welfare and sustainably feeding the future.
HEAD OF PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT
- UBC honours graduate with a double major BSc in Food & Nutritional Science.
- 7 years experience in food quality, regulatory and product development.
- Her product development has earned Nexty and Food Network awards for best product.
RESEARCH SCIENTIST INTERN
- Pursuing BSc. in Biotechnology at UBC/BCIT, Vancouver, Canada.
- Intrigued by innovative approaches to maintaining a healthy diet and environment.
- Experienced in tissue culturing, plant propagation, and scientific research.
- Enthusiastic about creating sustainable, highly nutritional products.
Ana Gallego, Ph.D
Director of Molecular Medicine, Cellular Biology and Stem Cell Laboratories.
Mary C. Mulry, Ph.D
40 years experience in food product development having worked in companies like Kraft Foods, Wild Oats, Hain Celestial and Kellogs.