Welcome to the Better Butchers!
We are a startup specializing in the production of cultivated meat, also known as lab-grown or cell-based meat. Our mission is to revolutionize the way we produce and consume meat by offering a healthier, more environmentally friendly, and more ethical alternative to traditional livestock farming.
We are a team of scientists, chefs, and sustainability experts, The Better Butchers is committed to using cutting-edge science and technology to create a range of cultivated meat products that are not only delicious, but also nutritionally equivalent to traditional meat.
We are passionate about creating a more diverse and inclusive food system that meets the needs of all consumers, whether they are looking for plant-based options, alternative proteins, or simply want to make more mindful and compassionate choices about the food they eat.
CO-FOUNDER & CEO
- Serial entrepreneur passionate about removing animals from the food chain and building purpose driven, better for you CPG brands.
- Co-founded The Very Good Butchers and took them public where they were the top performing IPO (globally) of 2020.
- Has managed high growth, disruptive food companies from product inception to North America wide rollout.
CO-FOUNDER & CTO
- BSc major in Food Science, minor Chemistry and Biology recognized with Outstanding Student grants throughout the years.
- MSc in Human Health and Nutritional Sciences with a NSERC grant and a thesis focused on processing and vitamin bioavailability.
- Over 10 years experience in Food Research including epidemiological studies, protein and polyphenol extractions and fat morphology.
- 13 years experience in food manufacturing, quality assurance, processing line design and product development of plant-based dairy and meat food products, developing critical technologies that resulted in multiple Best in Show VegNews awards at Expo West and leading R&D teams to successfully receive Nexty and Food Network awards for best product.
- PhD in Animal Biosciences, University of Guelph Ontario, Canada.
- Recipient of the Highly Qualified Personnel Award from Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs.
- Broad expertise in mammalian and microbial cell culture systems, recombinant protein expression system and metabolomics.
- Passionate about animal welfare and sustainably feeding the future.